2 Cor. 11:14
1 Peter 5:8
2 Peter 2:4
Every Occurrence of Diabolos ("Devil")
The following list of every occurrence of the Greek word "diabolos" (Strong's Greek #1228) is meant as an aid to the diligent Bible student. (The actually word is in bold type for each verse). It is believed by Christadelphians that the devil is a term used for sin in the flesh and/or a person or group who manifests sin. The best approach is to carefully consider each verse and draw conclusions. It is therefore suggested to start the exercise by considering the word satan which has Old and New Testament usage while the word diabolos is wholly a New Testament word. We would wish the student to come to this list of verses without prejudice or presuppositions. Ask these questions about each verse:
- What does this verse tell me about the devil?
- Who is the reference speaking about? (Many times we are not told but this does not leave room for assumptions).
- Does the verse actually tell me about a wicked fallen angel? (A common reply is, "Who else could it be?" This question, in itself, does not therefore prove the existence of a fallen angel.)
- The Greek word diabolos literally means "to throw across" or "strike through". It has the ideas of being a slanderer and a false accuser. It has been translated as false accusers and slanderers in the KJV and is most often transliterated by the word devil.
The hypertext links will direct you to the Wrested Scripture entry associated with that verse.
- Matthew 4:1
- "Then was Jesus led up of the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted of the devil."
- Matthew 4:5
- "Then the devil taketh him up into the holy city, and setteth him on a pinnacle of the temple,"
- Matthew 4:8
- "Again, the devil taketh him up into an exceeding high mountain, and showeth him all the kingdoms of the world, and the glory of them;"
- Matthew 4:11
- "Then the devil leaveth him, and, behold, angels came and ministered unto him."
- Matthew 13:39
- "The enemy that sowed them is the devil; the harvest is the end of the world; and the reapers are the angels."
- Matthew 25:41
- "Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:"
- Luke 4:2
- "Being forty days tempted of the devil. And in those days he did eat nothing: and when they were ended, he afterward hungered."
- Luke 4:3
- "And the devil said unto him, If thou be the Son of God, command this stone that it be made bread."
- Luke 4:5
- "And the devil, taking him up into an high mountain, showed unto him all the kingdoms of the world in a moment of time."
- Luke 4:6
- "And the devil said unto him, All this power will I give thee, and the glory of them: for that is delivered unto me; and to whomsoever I will I give it."
- Luke 4:13
- "And when the devil had ended all the temptation, he departed from him for a season."
- Luke 8:12
- "Those by the way side are they that hear; then cometh the devil, and taketh away the word out of their hearts, lest they should believe and be saved."
- John 6:70
- "Jesus answered them, Have not I chosen you twelve, and one of you is a devil?"
- John 8:44
- "Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it."
- John 13:2
- "And supper being ended, the devil having now put into the heart of Judas Iscariot, Simon's son, to betray him;"
- Acts 10:38
- "How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Ghost and with power: who went about doing good, and healing all that were oppressed of the devil; for God was with him."
- Acts 13:10
- "And said, O full of all subtlety and all mischief, thou child of the devil, thou enemy of all righteousness, wilt thou not cease to pervert the right ways of the Lord?"
- Ephesians 4:27
- "Neither give place to the devil."
- Ephesians 6:11
- "Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil."
- 1 Timothy 3:6
- "Not a novice, lest being lifted up with pride he fall into the condemnation of the devil."
- 1 Timothy 3:7
- "Moreover he must have a good report of them which are without; lest he fall into reproach and the snare of the devil."
- 1 Timothy 3:11
- "Even so must their wives be grave, not slanderers, sober, faithful in all things."
- 2 Timothy 2:26
- "And that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will."
- 2 Timothy 3:3
- "Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good,"
- Titus 2:3
- "The aged women likewise, that they be in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things;"
- Hebrews 2:14
- "Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil;"
- James 4:7
- "Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you."
- 1 Peter 5:8
- "Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:"
- 1 John 3:8
- "He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil."
- 1 John 3:10
- "In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother."
- Jude 1:9
- "Yet Michael the archangel, when contending with the devil he disputed about the body of Moses, durst not bring against him a railing accusation, but said, The Lord rebuke thee."
- Revelation 2:10
- "Fear none of those things which thou shalt suffer: behold, the devil shall cast some of you into prison, that ye may be tried; and ye shall have tribulation ten days: be thou faithful unto death, and I will give thee a crown of life."
- Revelation 12:9
- "And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him."
- Revelation 12:12
- "Therefore rejoice, ye heavens, and ye that dwell in them. Woe to the inhabiters of the earth and of the sea! for the devil is come down unto you, having great wrath, because he knoweth that he hath but a short time."
- Revelation 20:2
- "And he laid hold on the dragon, that old serpent, which is the Devil, and Satan, and bound him a thousand years,"
- Revelation 20:10
- "And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever."