1 Cor. 11:5,13
1 Cor. 15:31
- Deuteronomy 21:22-23
- "And if a man have committed a sin worthy of death, and he be to be put to death, and thou hang him on a tree: His body shall not remain all night upon the tree, but thou shalt in any wise bury him that day; (for he that is hanged is accursed of God;) that thy land be not defiled, which the LORD thy God giveth thee for an inheritance."
- The Law of Moses states that anyone put to death by hanging (which would include crucifixion) is cursed by God. Moslems assert that Jesus could not be cursed by God and that therefore he could not have died by crucifixion.
- The idea that Jesus could not be cursed by God is an assumption. There is no Bible passage which states this.
- In reality the fact that Jesus was made to be a curse by being crucified is an essential part of the process of atonement (See Galatians 3:13). The requirement to curse a completely innocent man shows the injustice of sin and hence allows God to forgive sin without being unjust himself.
- Thus, far from the curse proving that the death of Jesus could not have occurred it gives part of the reason for which it did occur, so that God can forgive human sin without being unjust.