1 Cor. 11:5,13
1 Cor. 15:31
- Isaiah 11:1-2
- "And there shall come forth a rod out of the stem of Jesse, and a Branch shall grow out of his roots: And the spirit of the LORD shall rest upon him, the spirit of wisdom and understanding, the spirit of counsel and might, the spirit of knowledge and of the fear of the LORD."
- Moslems note that the name Jesse is a contraction of the name Ishmael. On the basis of this they claim that the prophecy is of a descendent of Ishmael and not of Jesse. The prophecy tells us that he will be a success as a statesman and a leader of men. This, they assert, could only be Muhammad. This claim is further supported by asking the question why Jesus would be referred to as a son of the relatively obscure Jesse when he could have been described as a Son of David.
- The origin of the name Jesse may be a contraction of Ishmael, but Jesse and Ishmael are distinct and different people. Ishmael the son of Hagar is never called Jesse and Jesse the father of David is never called Ishmael. Thus the prophecy is of someone descended from Jesse the father of David.
- The descendent of Jesse was to accomplish the following:
The return of Jesus will see these prophecies fulfilled, but Muhammad will never fulfill them.
- Bring in a kingdom of complete peace (Isa. 11:6-9).
- Regather the nation of Israel into the land of Palestine (Isa. 11:12-16).